Friday, February 12, 2010

4+ Years Later

It's been a while. I still think this blog was a great idea. But it was a sort of New year's resolution sort of thing and we all know how that goes. Nonetheless, I want to give it a go and see what happens. There may not be a dress every day but we're gonna try.




Up front warning: My mind wanders. There may be very little continuity from day to day. But hopefully, a pattern will surface. And technology and I sometimes disagree. Or at least, fail to see eye to eye. For instance, the dress of this particular day should be the one I worked on today. ALL DAY LONG. Still not finished. But did I take a pic? No, I did not. So maybe it will be tomorrow. So for today, let's visit the archives.




Today's pic is a bridal gown. It's a 2 piece gown of double-faced silk duchesse satin. It's a beautiful, very simple gown. Though never worn by an actual bride, I have sold this gown. It was bought by Avon for a catalog shoot. If the truth were known, they wanted a Vera Wang gown but they insisted the gown not be strapless. Well, that season, Vera simply didn't have any non-strapless gowns. So Avon's stylist for the shoot, (fortunately for the both of us, a friend of a friend) gave me a call. I faxed her a dozen or so sketches (tells you this story didn't happen yesterday. Who faxes anymore?)

Anyhoo, she and the art director selected this one and I whipped it up. It was a beaut. The model was a Brazilian beauty who flew into New York minutes before the shoot so I had to make the dress to measure with no fittings. And they gave me her measurements from her agency profile. And Jeez, they all lie. But how much? Don't remember how much I allowed for vanity but I got lucky and it worked. The dress fit. And she was breathtakingly beautiful.

Problem was, it was a close up shot they used. You got it. Beautiful gown and all you could see was the strap. Should've known. That's why they didn't want strapless. Because a strapless gown would not have shown up in the pic! They could have used a nude model. Which wouldn't have read "bride." So I should have seen it coming. But did I? Nope. Right over the old noggin. And I'd been doing this for decades. Thank God I got paid for the gown and didn't do it for credit. As soon as I dig out the photo and figure out the scanner, I'll add the photo to this post.

Til tomorrow. And the dress of that day. Which will hopefully be the one I am referring to as "Miss Kitty Takes a Trip." You'll see.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Wonderful story!! But I bet it was a beguiling strap...

Dorian said...

You created one beautiful understated gown...and you got paid, you got a great story, plus a little wiser(?)! I know, missed the "recognition" step but so glad to see you will be receiving that here. Love your blog, from the design, drawing and writing POV :-D